[Transcribed by Dale H. Cook]
They were all buried on the south side of the road opposite this burial-ground. Jonathan Copeland, father of Ebenezer, Sen., was buried on the south side of this road, 1790, aged 90, being the first Copeland that died in Bridgewater. In 1801 this Ebenezer, Sen., built a tomb on the south side of the road, and had these bodies all put into that tomb. Another tomb was built on this side of the road by Dea. Joseph Kingman and his brother Jonathan, about 1819, and shortly after a third tomb was built on this spot by Hezekiah Copeland.
In 1860 all the bodies in these tombs were removed to the Pine Hill cemetery, and the tombs were taken away, and the road was then widened. Ebenezer Copeland, Sen., owned the land where these tombs were located, formerly Dea. Brett's land, and Nathan Snell owned the land on the north side of the road. Probably his father, Josiah Snell, grandson of Thomas Snell, one of the first settlers, and greatest landholder in old Bridgewater, gave the original lot for burial.
There is a tradition that one or more persons were buried on Sandy Hill, on the west side of the old Bay road, nearly opposite the house of Elihu Leonard, which stands upon the site and very cellar of the old Brett house, which was owned and occupied successively by father and son. In taking earth from this hill, to make the new road where the willows now grow, one place, having some appearance of an old grave, was found; but, if it was ever much used for burial, they would have discovered more evidence of its having been used for that purpose.
It is not known where the old town clerk, Dea. Nathaniel Brett, Sen., and wife, Sarah, were buried. She died 1737; he died 1740; probably in the ground opposite the late Gamaliel Howard house, and where the Stone and Capen houses stand, called the Second Burying-Place in West Bridgewater.
N. Brett, Jr., deacon and fourth town clerk from 1736 to his death, 1779, was probably buried in this yard on the east side of his second wife, Mary Brett's grave. This site is indicated by two natural, rough stones at head and foot, without inscription. The second wife died Jan. 21, 1780, within one year after the death of her husband, and was buried about thirty-five feet nearly east from where his first wife Rebecca and their son Uriah were buried. The two wives and their son Uriah have good head-stones; but the stone for his second wife does not give her birth or age. The first wife died 1771, and their son Uriah died 1768, aged 28. The old Powder House stood in this yard, near the southwest corner, as appears on the plan.
Previous Contents Index to this cemetery Plan Directions Surnames Next
Copyright © 2003-2013 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.