|OLD GRAVE YARD.||65|
[Transcribed by Dale H. Cook]
39. Beneath are deposited the remains of Dea. Isaac Lazell, who departed this life June the 20th, 1810, in the fifty-fourth year of his age, with hope of future happiness, having a firm belief of the truth of the Gospel; and during the days of his health he was anxious to promote the improvement, interest and happiness of society. To commemorate his virtues and express the gratitude of his relations, they have erected this monument. (Slate slab, three feet by six feet, on hammered granite blocks.
40. Beneath are deposited the remains of Martin Lazell, who departed this life Aug. 3, 1799, aged 15 years, 2 months and one day.
Attend ye young and from my fate, learn your own. Lately like you, active and lively I trod the gay path of life, and health and vigor enlivened my frame. But Ah! how soon did the pleasing scene change; amidst the most flattering prospects, pale disease enfeebled all my powers, nature sunk, and the tomb is now my home. Dear friends, forget not that you, also, must die. The king of terrors pursues your steps and neither beauty, health, nor strength, can ward off the sure and fatal blow. Let my death be your warning and prepare to meet your God. (Slate slab, two feet four inches by five feet, on brick foundation).
41. In memory of Isaac, son of Maj. Isaac Lazell and Mrs. Jane, his wife, born on ye 2d, died on ye 4th of May, A. D. 1795.
42. In memory of the infant son of Major Isaac and Mrs. Jane Lazell, who died in the hour of his birth, the 21st June, 1796. (Broken and prostrate.)
43. In memory of Mrs. Martha, wife of Dean Jacob Hayward, who died April ye 27, 1780, in the 67th year of her age.
My time is spent, my days are past;
Eternity must count the rest;
My glass is out, my race run;
The holy work of God is done.
44. In memory of Deacon Jacob Hayward, who died Mar. ye 27, 1778, in the 67th year of his age.
A husband kind and good, a parent dear,
To all obliging and to all sincere,
True to his God, the orphan's friend and guide,
He lived beloved, and lamented died.
45. Lieut. Benjamin Hayward, died 16 Oct., 1807, in his 64 year.
46. In memory of Mrs. Mary, widow of Lieut. Benj. Hayward, died Dec. 4, 1819, aged 75 years.
47. Here lies the body of Josiah Edson, Esq., who departed this life Octer ye 4th, 1734, in ye 84th year of her age.
Here lies the body of Mrs. Elizath Edson, who departed this life Novbr ye 25th, 1737, in ye 86th year of her age. (Natural flat stone, three feet four inches by five feet eight inchesthree inches thick, on tough, broken granite foundition).
48. Here lies buried Mrs. Sarah Edson, the wife of Capt. Josiah Edson, who died Febuary 14, N. S. 1754, in ye 72d year of her age.
Previous Contents Index to this cemetery Plan Directions Surnames Next
Copyright © 2003-2008 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.