|OLD GRAVE YARD.||75|
[Transcribed by Dale H. Cook]
189. Beneath are deposited the remains of Mr. Eleazer Cary, who departed this life June 23, 1806, in his 83d year.
190. Erected in memory of Mr. Caleb Cary, who died March 22, 1816, æt. 33. Sober, exemplary, friendly and benevolent, he was prepared, both to profit and to please his fellowmen, and had the pleasing prospect of enjoying many days of peace and prosperity. But ah! how uncertain are the most flattering hopes. Cut down in the morning of life, he has left a parent to mourn the loss of a beloved son, and his country a true friend and valuable citizen.
191. Erected to the memory of Miss Sally Cary, who died October 29, 1838, aged 9  yrs.
192. Charles Gilbert, son of Mr. Nathaniel and Mrs. Betsey Gilbert, died Nov. 2, 1816, æt. 9.
Here lies the fairest bud of hope
That e're to fondest hope was given;
If thou would know its proper state,
Repent, and seek the flower in heaven.
193. Erected to the memory of Marshal B., son of Nathaniel and Betsey Gilbert, who died June 14, 1834, in the 19 year of his age.
194. In memory of Freelove, daughter of Mr. Samuel Whitman and Mrs. Susanna, his wife, who died May 27th, 1787, in ye 15th year of her age. (Drowned in Town river).
Beneath is laid a blooming maid,
Who ended life's sad day;
Drowned in streams that quench life's flame,
And draw'd her breath away.
195. Memento Mori. In memory of Mrs. Susanna, wife of Mr. Samuel Whitman, who died Augst ye 26th, 1778, in the 36th year of her age. (Her husband lost at sea).
196. Memento Mori. In memory of Mrs. Ellanor, widow of Mr. Zechariah Whitman, who died Nov. ye 10th, 1777, in the 66th year of her age.
197. Memento Mori. In memory of Mr. Zechariah Whitman, who died Nov. ye 13th, 1773, in the 69th year of his age.
Great God I own thy sentence just,
And yield my body to the dust.
198. In memory of Mrs. Abigail Whitman, wife of Mr. Zechariah Whitman, departed this life Nov. 16, 1826, in the 82 year of her age.
Her price was above rubies.
199. In memory of Mr. Zechariah Whitman, departed this life April 18, 1819, in the 82 year of his age.
An honest man's the noblest work of God.
200. Memento Mori. In memory of Cyrus, son of Mr. Zechariah Whitman and Mrs Abigail, his wife who died April the 5, 1776, in the 3d year of his age.
What shall we say when death is sent?
God takes away but what he lent,
Cyrus must die; God gives the call;
Previous Contents Index to this cemetery Plan Directions Surnames Next
Copyright © 2003-2013 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.