[Transcribed by Dale H. Cook]
This Sugar Hill, where Theodore C. Wilbur now lives, so called, as some have supposed, from the sugar-loaf form of the hill at this house, before highway improvements changed its appearance, and others have supposed, from the peculiar, white, fine, clean sand composing this hill, and resembling white sugar, is probably a corruption of the first name of this hill, which was Shugar's Hill, after the name of man who is supposed to have lived at this place.
Scotland is the local name of the southwest part of Bridgewater. It was early settled. Samuel Keith, son of Rev. James Keith, with a family of nine children, and his son, Ebenezer, with a family of twelve children, lived to a good old age where the late Nathan Bassett and the late Dea. Ezra Fobes lived, and are, with their numerous descendants, mostly buried in this yard. The Keith blood, no doubt, gave this name to this territory, as it also gave the name of Tweed to the brook, early called Four Mile brook, running through this Keith farm, and crossing Pleasant street about thirty rods east of this house, on which brook, called Tweed brook, near said street, in 1806, was built, by Dea. Ezra Fobes and Dea. James Alger, a dam, building, water-wheel, and two nail machines, to cut nails, before the invention of cutting and heading by one operation, and many persons, male and female, were employed, with heading machines operated by the foot, to head the nails singly.
Susanna, daughter of Josiah Fobes, was the second person buried in this yard; she died December 3, 1753; and the oldest person buried in this yard was Sarah Bassett, widow of Joseph Bassett, and daughter of Joseph Prior; baptized in East Bridgewater, January 21, 1738-9, by Rev. John Angier, and died September 29, 1839. Only one other person has ever died in this town over 100 years of age, and that was Abigail Alden, who died February 22, 1882, aged 101 years, 10 months and 10 days.
The graves in this yard head south and foot north; and the grave-stones face the street, running nearly east and west. Many foot-stones have been removed, and placed at the head of graves without monuments.
This yard has a good face wall in front, next to Pleasant street, and a good balance wall upon all other sides; and has an iron gate entrance from the street, near the middle of the yard, but no gates or entrance at the east or west end, on the street, as indicated on the plan. The record of colored persons is at the end of the epitaphs.
Previous Contents Index to this cemetery Plan Directions Surnames Next
Copyright © 2003-2013 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.