KEITH, OR SOUTH STREET,
[Transcribed by Arthur Richardson]
1. To the memory of Lois, widow of Solomon Keith, who died July 14, 1847, aged 91 years.
2. In memory of Mr. Solomon Keith, who died Nov. 14, 1823, æt. 74.
Why do we mourn departing friends,
Or shake at death's alarm;
'Tis but the voice that Jesus sends,
To call us to his arms.
3. Here sleeps the dust of the once loved, but now much lamented, Ichabod Keith, ob. January 10, 1763, æt. 21.
The power of medicine proved too weak to save
The destined victim from the hungry grave;
Nor could the force of blooming youth prevail,
Nor prayers, nor tears can ought with death avail.
O Death! all eloquent, you only prove,
What dust we doat on when 'tis man we love.
4. In memory of Ephraim Keith, Esq., who died February ye 25, 1781, in ye 74th year of his age. (Grad. H. U., 1729).
I pass with melancholly fate,
By all the solemn heaps of fate;
And think as soft and sad I read,
Above the venerable dead.
5. Here lies Mrs. Sarah, wife of Ephraim Keith, Esq.; she died March 7th, 1796, in the 87th year of her age.
6. In memory of Ens. Thomas Hayward, who died Feb. ye 12th, 1789, in the 87th year.
7. In memory of Mrs. Constance, ye wife of Mr. Thomas Hayward, who died Dec. ye 28, 1770, in the 67th year of her age.
8. In memory of Mr. Amos Keith, of Bridgewater, who, after faithful perseverance in his christian course for the church triumphant, resigned his natural life, and departed hence for the mansions of immor
Previous Contents Index to this cemetery Plan Directions Surnames Next
Copyright © 2003-2008 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.