[Transcribed by Arthur Richardson]
ninety-three feet; and a wooden fence on all the other sides [Transcriber's note: The fence has since disappeared], measuring 103½ feet on the easterly side; 140 feet on the north, or back side and 139 feet on the westerly side, next to Plane street. See plan.
No deed is known to exist; but Samuel Jennings is said to have given this land for this purpose about 1766.
The oldest grave-stone in this yard is that of Nathaniel Haywards's wife, Elizabeth, who died Nov. 7, 1766. Joanna Tinkham, who was housekeeper for Samuel Jennings, died March 6, 1763, and was buried in the old yard at the Unitarian meeting-house, and probably would have been buried in this yard if the land had previously been given for that purpose.
Within a few years past Havilla Dunphe has added to this old yard on the north side, and enclosed with a wooden fence, a strip of land about 106 feet wide, north and south, and about 160 feet, long east and west: about sixty-one square rods, and has laid the same out in burial-lots, and sells them to individuals, as wanted.
Seven graves with stones are found in this new ground, but are not taken into this account; and there are probably in the old yard as many graves without stones as with stones, the town paupers having been buried here for many years.
Previous Contents Index to this cemetery Plan Directions Surnames Next
Copyright © 2003-2013 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.