186 EAST BRIDGEWATER,  

[Transcribed by Dale H. Cook]

wife, 1685-1688; Jonathan Cary, of Beaver, 1695; Experience Mitchell, of Elmwood, 1689; Mercy Harris, wife of Issac Harris, about 1682.

   No other public place of burial is known to have been used; and we find a very few private burying-grounds in the early settlement of the town, here, or elsewhere, in old Bridgewater.

   There is an Indian burying-place at Robbins' Pond, on a piece of high ground on the south side of the road, fifty rods west of the bridge over Satucket river, at said pond.   This ground was formerly covered with a heavy growth of pine timber, always private property.   None but colored people are known to have been buried here, and probably not more than ten to fifteen graves there, and no grave-stones with inscriptions thereon.   There was no Indian settlement around this pond before 1651.   It is called Robbins' Pond from John Robbins, an Indian, who early lived near it.   Those persons who have lived or been buried at this place have come from abroad; mostly from Marshfield, Assawampsett Pond, and South Kingston, R. I., and have been Indians, negroes, and mixed blood.

   Seven graves (six grown persons and one child), all in a row, close together, are found on the Bela Hill, now Henry G. Hill farm, on the south bank of Matfield river, some thirty or forty rods below the railroad crossing, with large natural flat stones at head and foot, set up edgewise, with no inscription thereon; and there are two flat stones from twelve to twenty inches wide, and from two to three feet long, laid horizontal and lengthwise on top of each grave, all which graves occupy a space of twenty feet in a straight line, nearly north and south; and all stones, here seem to be such as came from a ledge near by.   The land occupied by these graves is a part of the Hill farm, which has been owned and occupied by the Hill family ever since the first settlement.   These graves were probably made before 1800, and have generally been considered as graves of persons dying with the small-pox.   There is no satisfactory account or tradition as to who they were, or when buried, or cause of death.

   There is a tradition in the Hill family that it was a private grave-yard of the Hill family, and was not a small-pox grave-yard, with perhaps a single exception of a child of Richard Thayer, which died with the small-pox, Jan. 15, 1793, aged one month, and was buried at this place, while the father of the child was living in one of the Hill houses on this farm, and this was the last burial at this place, and a similar tradition exists in the Thayer family.   It is said that Jacob Hill, father

 

Previous  Contents  Index to this cemetery  Plan  Directions  Surnames  Next

Copyright © 2003-2013 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.