|OLD GRAVE YARD.||219|
[Transcribed by Arthur Richardson]
Where is thy promise to the just?
Are not thy servants turned to dust?
But father forbids these mournful sighs,
And bids the sleeping dust arise.
388. In memory of a dau. of Mr. Sampson Washburn and Mrs. Rebecca, his wife; she died April 2d, 1810, aged 5 days.
389. In memory of James Soule, son of Mr. Sampson Washburn and Mrs. Rebecca, his wife; he died Feb. 25th, 1817, aged 8 mo., 16 days.
In early bloom death cropt this flower,
Cut down and withered in an hour.
390. Noah, son of Mr. Levi and Mrs. Sarah Washburn, died June 25, 1822, æt. 1 year.
That form once lovely and serene,
Hath soared to worlds above,
Where endless pleasure is the theme,
To dwell with Christ in love.
That of his kingdom such consist,
Was by assurance given
When Jesus took them in his arms
And called them heirs of heaven.
A glorious promise: blessed grace,
To sinful man revealed;
Although in age past and gone
In darkness lay concealed.
Then in his promise let us trust,
And confidently rest;
That in the seed of Abraham
All nations shall be blest.
By a parent.
391. In memory of Mrs. Lucy, wife of Mr. Plyna Edson, died Dec. 22, 1825, æ 24 years.
392. In memory of Mrs. Hannah, wife of Mr. Joel Edson, died Dec. 7, 1818, in his [sic] 56th year.
393. In memory of Mr. Joel Edson, died April 26, 1830, in his 68th year.
394. In memory of James Edson, son of Mr. Jonah and Mrs. Jennett Edson, died Oct. 20, 1826, aged 4 years, 6 mos.
395. Daniel Bryant, died Mar. 14, 1844, æ 78 years.
396. Bethia Orr, wife of Charles Mitchell, who died Sept. 3, 1835, in her 47th year.
397. Hannah, only daughter of Charles Mitchell, who died Jan. 18, 1834, aged 17 years and 5 mos.
398. Frederick, son of Bartholomew and Mary Trow, died May 14, 1822, æ 2 yrs.
Cease, cease, fond mother, cease thy tears,
Allay thy grief and anxious fears;
That infant wrested from thine arms,
'Tis taken from thyself away
To dwell in the realms of endless day.
Soon shall thou join in equal bliss
Thy cherub and its happiness.
399. Mary, wife of Bartholomew Trow, died Oct. 7, 1867, æ 88 yrs., 11 mos., 5 dys.
Previous Contents Index to this cemetery Plan Directions Surnames Next
Copyright © 2003-2008 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.