[Transcribed by Dale H. Cook]
In reference to the tomb of Rev. James Keith, page 18, No. 139, the original foundation was broken stone, like the Edson tomb, with the present slab thereon. William Hudson, who built this tomb, lived at Simeon Taylor's, and died about 1728. Simeon Keith and his son, Austin Keith, descendants of the Rev. James Keith, through Timothy, one of his six sons, in 1827, rebuilt this foundation by setting up three slabs of granite on three sides, edgewise, which they bought in Quincy, and by placing two pieces of slate in the front end, edgewise, with an inscription thereon; which horizontal slab of granite and two pieces of slate with inscription thereon, formed a part ot the original monument, as built by said Hudson. Some twenty five or thirty years ago, the upper slate stone at the head of this tomb got broken, and a piece of new slate with the present inscription thereon, has been put in its place. The present inscription not differing materially from the old inscription.
The Rev. James Keith lived and died (July, 23, 1719,) in a house in West Bridgewater, now owned and occupied by George M. Pratt. It stood upon the north side of the road to the Great Meadows, near Snow's bridge, within about six rods of the Town river in front of it, about half-way between the house of Nathaniel Willis, west,now Amasa Howard'sand the house of George Turner, east, now gone, which stood in the corner of the two roads, where the office of the late Hon. William Baylies stood when burned in 1843.
|The sketches on opposite page, represent the house:|
|FIRST, as it appeared, 1662 to 1678 .||. . . .||16 years;|
|SECOND, as it appeared, 1678 to 1837||. . . .||159 years;|
|THIRD, as it has appeared since 1837||. . . .||45 years;|
|making it 220 years old.|
The house was built 1662. It fronted south, was two stories high in front, one story high back side, posts, sixteen feet high, fifteen feet wide in front, thirty-four feet deep, with front entry, five feet wide; chamber stairs and chimney back of front door, in the southeast corner of the house, one front room, about ten by twelve, with a bed-room back of that, and a kitchen, with pantry, back of bedroom and chimney. In the second story was an entry, a front room, and a bed-room corresponding to the rooms below. No cellar under this part of the house.
In 1678, the house was enlarged by an addition of eighteen by thirty-four feet, to the east side of the house; two stories high in front,
Previous Contents Surnames Next
Copyright © 2003-2008 by Arthur Richardson and Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.