EARLY SETTLEMENT OF BRIDGEWATER.
[Thanks to Betty White for transcribing the History section]
ORIGINAL GRANTS, ADDITIONS, AND BOUNDARIES
BRIDGEWATER was originally a plantation granted to Duxbury. When the township of Marshfield became a separate and distinct corporation, Duxbury, from which Marshfield had been principally taken, applied to the Old Colony court, at Plymouth, for a grant of common land, or, as they expressed it, "an extension to the westward," as a compensation for the great loss of territory they had thus sustained. We find in the records the following order of court relating to it:
"March, 1642. It is concluded upon by the court, that the northerly bounds of Marshfield shall be, from the rock that is flat on the top, to the North River, by a north-west line from Green's Harbor Fresh, to the tree called Poole's and to take in Edward Bonpass' land; provided that Duxbury had enlargement beyond Massachusetts' path, when they have viewed it."
Two years afterwards the court passed the following more explicit and definite order:
"August, 1644. Upon the petition of Duxbury men it is
Previous Contents Next
Copyright © 2003-2008 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.