|54||HISTORY OF THE|
[Thanks to Betty White for transcribing the History section]
|Ephraim Keith,||1762||Oliver Hayward,||1804|
|Adam Edson,||1775||Y||Jonathan Keith,||1805||B|
|Jael Edson,||1784||Y||Calvin Pratt,||||B|
D affixed to the year, stands for Dartmouth CollegeB for Brown UniversityY for Yale CollegeN for Nassau or New Jersey College. Where no letter is affixed, Cambridge or Harvard University is to be understood. Those in italics are clergymen.
By comparing this list with the catalogue of Harvard, it appears that one-quarter of the graduates in the class of 1785, were from Bridgewater.
PONDS AND RIVERS.
There are but two ponds of any considerable dimensions in the town. The largest lies on the south-west part of the town, adjoining Raynham, and was anciently called by the Indians Nuncketest or Neapnuncket, and afterwards and now called Nippenicket. The other lies in the easterly part of the town, adjoining Halifax, and was anciently called by the Indians Satucket; but afterwards and now called Robins' Pond, after an Indian family of that name, who came from Mattakeeset, now Pembroke, and lived on the margin of it. Several families of Indians formerly settled and owned land on the shores of this pond; but are now nearly extinct. There is a river issuing from the pond first abovementioned, which anciently bore the same name, Nuncketest; but after the erection of the first mill, was called Mill River, and for a long time, and perhaps ever since the incorporation of the town, has been called Town River. It first runs in a north-easterly course through the middle of the west parish, and then by a more south-easterly direction passes through the south parish. On this stream is the principal mill seat in the west, and two of the principal water privileges in the south parish. There are several tributary streams which augment this river in its course, as Cowesit and
Previous Contents Next
Copyright © 2003-2008 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.