|EARLY SETTLEMENT OF BRIDGEWATER.||67|
[Thanks to Betty White for transcribing the History section]
|it was laid out when removed from the place where the great bridge was at Jones' River, (at Kingston.)|
|1717.||The town gave Mr. Allen (minister) liberty to make use of the pine trees on the stated common on Bayley's Plain for drawing of turpentine.|
|1737.||The town voted their consent that the north should become a distinct town, agreeably to their petition; and on November 29, 1738, they also voted their consent that the south and east precincts might also each become distinct towns; but these votes were never attempted to be carried into effect only as it regarded the north, who, although they petitioned originally to become a town, were indulged so far only as to be incorporated into a precinct.|
|1757.||Voted to choose five selectmen: hitherto they had chosen but three, one from the west, one from the south, and one from the east; ever after they chose one from each of the five parishes, east, west, north, south, and Titicut.|
|1767.||Several of the neutral French were supported and provided for in this town for several years previous; and this year Joseph Latham was paid 21s.4d., for carrying them to Plymouth; (for transportation probably.)|
EARLY LOCATION OF HIGHWAYS.
|1664.||IT is ordered by the feofees, and agreed upon by the town, that every man shall have a convenient highway to his meadow lands.|
|"||They whom it doth concern may have a way through the spruce swamp.|
|1667.||There was a highway left by individuals between Nathaniel Hayward's six acre lot, and Thomas Snell's ten acre lot, upon the east side of Goodman Bacon's on the plain, and a piece of common land between the lots in form like a gusset.|
Previous Contents Next
Copyright © 2003-2008 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.