6. Dea. Benjamin (s. of Edward, and g. s. of Col. Benj. 2) gra. H. U. 1727, was Deacon of Dr. Mather Byle's Church in Boston, and author of a biography of his grandfather, the Col. 1772, in which he erroneously calls the Colonel's father Joseph and his parents "of Duxbury;" the Deacon's son Benjamin gra. H. U. 1754, and was the famous Dr. Benjamin Church of Revolutionary distinction; another son, Edward, gra. H. U. 1759, was a Consul, and d. abroad; and a D. Abigail is said to have m. Turner Phillips of Boston.
Col. Peter Church died in Bristol a. 1821, æ. a. 80.Samuel Church also died there, perhaps the gra. of H. U. 1778.Rev. Nathan Church was of Bridgton, Me. 1799.Rev. Aaron Church d. in Hartford, Conn., 1823, æ. 77, b. in Springfield 1744, was in the ministry 41 years.Capt. Joseph Church died at Fairhaven 1839, æ. 87.Gamaliel Church, Esq., Representative from Westport 1839 and 1840.
Many of this name, descendants no doubt of Richard, still reside in the old Colony, and have spread extensively over New England.
CLARK.William Clark was one of the original proprietors of Bridgewater, but we have no further account of him or of his family. There are many of this name in various parts of the county, and it is a very common name throughout the country. Richard Clark came over to Plymouth in the May Flower 1620, and d. before spring, and there is no further notice of him, or of any family left by him.Thomas Clark came in the Ann 1623, and m. Susanna, D. of wid. Mary Ring before 1631, and died at Plymouth, March 24, 1697, æ. 97, according to the gravestone and the records of the town, but by his deposition given 1664, stating himself then to be only 59, he was only 92 at his death. It has been supposed he was mate of the May Flower, having gone back to Eng. and returned to Plymouth again in 1623, but this is not certain. He had William, James, Nathaniel (the Secretary), Andrew, and Susanna, who m. Barnabas Lothrop, Esq. of Barnstable 1658.Thomas Clark of Plymouth m. wid. Alice Nichols of Boston 1664; she was D. of Richard Hallett. William Clark's house (a garrison house) was burnt in Plymouth by the Indians 1676, on the Sabbath, and 11 persons killed.John (g. s. of Thomas) d. in Plymouth 1712, and had John, Joseph, and James.Trustum Clark was in Plymouth 1634, and d. in Duxbury 1661, and had Trustum and Henry.Isaac, son of Joseph, went to Hardwick.Whether William, whose house was burnt, was the proprietor of Bridgewater, is not known, if he was he must have lived in Duxbury before 1650.
COLLIER.William Collier was an original proprietor, a merchant adventurer, and came over about 1633; he settled in Duxbury, and was an Assistant many years, and d. 1670; he
Previous Contents Abbreviations Residents Non-Residents Next
Copyright © 2004-2008 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.