APPENDIX. 415

and numbered 4: thence East one degree, North 50 rods to a maple tree marked and numbered 4 on the South side, being an ancient marked tree: thence East one degree, North 120 rods to a maple tree marked and numbered 4: thence East one degree, South 31 rods to a horn pine tree marked and numbered 4, being the corner of the first great Lot in Titicut Division: thence East one degree, North 47 rods to a maple tree marked and numbered 4: thence East one degree, North 66 rods to a red oak tree marked and numbered 4: thence East one degree, North 70 rods to a red oak tree marked and numbered 4 standing in the edge of Benjamin Willis's meadow, being an old marked tree: thence East one degree, North 47 rods to a poplar sapling marked and numbered 4, being the corner of the first Lot in the last Division of Titicut lands: thence East one degree, North 556 rods by a range of old marked trees to a walnut tree marked and numbered 4 standing on the bank of the great river and a little to the North of the mouth of Winnetuxet river.
—Ephraim Fobes, Benj. Leach, and Nath'l Willis."

   1737.   The above was confirmed 1737 by Sam'l Keith, Jona. Howard and Joshua Willis in behalf of the Eight Mile proprietors: and Nathaniel Willis, Benjamin Leach and Ephraim Fobes in behalf of the Two Mile Proprietors.

   See page 29.—The following record contains the final laying out of the land on the North and East side of the original four mile grant, on the northerly and easterly part of the town, according to the agreement of the purchasers.

   "Pursuant to an Act of the Purchasers of Bridgewater bearing date Feb. 1, A. D., 1710, we the subscribers, who were entrusted and empowered to lay out the undivided lands towards the north-east corner of the Four Mile Grant both upon the East and North side, have bounded out the said lands into seven shares or lots according to the purchasers' agreement in manner and form as followeth:—

   "Part of the first lot lyeth westerly from Joseph Shaw's house, beginning at a red oak tree marked on four sides, numbered one: from thence running west to Packard's line, and bounded westerly partly by Packard's land and partly by John Hayward's land, and at the southerly end by the lots that lie upon Matfield River to a white oak tree, which is Joseph Edson's corner bound:

 

Previous  Contents  Abbreviations  Residents  Non-Residents  Next

Copyright © 2004-2008 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.