USGenWeb Genealogical Site for the Town of
Return to USGenWeb Bridgewater
Bridgewater Genealogical and Historical Societies, Libraries and Locations
Genealogical and Historical Societies and Libraries
Deborah Sampson Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Bridgewater Public Library Historical Room
15 South St.
Bridgewater, MA 02324
508-697-3331 (also TTD)
Hours: Tues. 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Wed. 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m.; Thurs. 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Closed Fri. - Mon.
Old Bridgewater Historical Society
162 Howard Street
West Bridgewater, MA 02379
Hours: Weds. 12:00 noon to 3:00 p.m., other hours by appointment
Plymouth County Genealogists, Inc.
PCGI is a non-profit genealogical society whose monthly meetings are held the first Saturday of each month (except July and August) at 1:00 PM at the East Bridgewater Public Library. Meetings generally feature a guest speaker and the public is welcome.
Old Colony Historical Society
66 Church Green
Taunton, MA 02780
Hours: Tues. - Sat. 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed on holidays and on Saturdays preceding Monday holidays
Museum Admission: Adults - $4.00, Children 12-18 and Seniors - $2.00
Genealogical Research: $7.00 per day
South Shore Genealogical Society
PO Box 396
Norwell, MA 02061
Meetings: The second Saturday of each month (except July and August) at 1:30 p.m. at the John Curtis Free Library, Rte. 139, Hanover, MA.
For beginners, amateurs and professionals interested in genealogical research in Plymouth and Norfolk Counties.
Massachusetts Historical Society
1154 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215-3695
Hours: Mon. - Weds. 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.; Thurs. 9:00 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.; Fri. 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.; Sat. 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Closed Sunday.
New England Historic Genealogical Society
101 Newbury St.
Boston, MA 02116-3007
Library Hours: Tues. 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Weds. 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Thurs. - Sat. 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Closed Sun. and Mon.
The library is closed for some holidays - call or see the website for details.
For non-members there is a daily admisssion fee for the research library.
NEHGS is nation's oldest genealogical society, founded in 1845. It offers unsurpassed resources for New England research including the Boston research library of over 200,000 volumes. Members not in the Boston area appreciate their extensive online resources including all issues of The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, the nation's oldest genealogical journal, published quarterly since 1847. Online resources also include member access to vital records through 1915, an ever-growing collection of online books, and databases derived from some of the Society's immense manuscript holdings.
Bridgewater Sites on the National Register of Historic Places
Bridgewater Iron Works
Also known as The Stanley Works or Bridgewater Foundary
Added 2002 - District #01000087
Added 1972 - Site #72001629
Other Genealogical and Historical Locations
It will take time for this portion of the web site to grow. If you have a photograph of an historic Bridgewater building or site that you would like to share with other researchers please send an email to Dale H. Cook.
Joseph Alden House
High St., Bridgewater, MA
This house, located on the north side of High St., east of Broad St. and across the street from Clover Dr., might have been built as early as 1690, although there may have been an earlier house across the street. Joseph Alden was the second son of John Alden and Priscilla (Mullins) Alden of the Mayflower, had his father's proprietory share in Bridgewater and was an early settler here. Joseph and his sons built their homes along High St., and this home still has many of the original 17th-century interior details. It is a private home and is not open to the public.
The Tory House
Central Square, Bridgewater, MA
Joseph Leonard, a fifth-generation descendant of James Chilton of the Mayflower, built this house on the north side of the Common in 1698. Much of the surrounding land was his farm, and he pastured cattle on what is now the Common. Joseph sold the house to Reverend Benjamin Allen, minister of the South Parish, in 1717. The Reverend was called to Plymouth in 1732 and sold the house to Colonel Josiah Edson, head of the local militia and, for twelve years, representative to the General Court. It is called "The Tory House" because Josiah sided with the British, and in 1774 a popular frenzy forced him to seek the protection of the British Army in Boston. In 1776 he evacuated to Halifax with the British. His estate was confiscated by the town, he was banished from the colony, and he died on Long Island in 1778 with the British Army. When the General Court authorized the sale of Josiah's property in 1779 the house was purchased by Isaac Lazell. In the early 18th century it served as a public house, and later that century as a stop on the underground railroad. It is now a private home and is not open to the public.
Return to USGenWeb Bridgewater
Email comments to Dale H. Cook
Please visit the Plymouth Colony Pages
USGenWeb Bridgewater, MA, commenced 06-Jul-1998.
Created by Cathy Joy Lasselle (CJ) McNew.
Revised and maintained since 26-Aug-2002 by Dale H. Cook.
Copyright © 2004-2011 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.