[Thanks to Linda Smith for transcribing this chapter]



   Marshfield we find first mentioned in Colonial History—[Palfrey's N. E. His.]—in 1632, eight years before its settlement as a town.   Plymouth was fast becoming an area too small for the farmer colonists of that town, hence some of the larger and more progressive landed proprietors began to look about them for larger fields, and passing through Duxbury they found in Marshfield not only extensive, but excellent pastures for their cattle, and this is undoubtedly the reason why the Standishes, the Aldens and the Brewsters settled in Duxbury, and the Winslows, the Whites, and the Thomases took up their abode at an opportune time in Marshfield.   To prevent further scattering, Goodwin says "several grants of farm lands had been made [1632-3] at Cut River, which from its verdant shores became Green River."   "It was thought no one would desire to live so far from Plymouth and that even the employés would remain there only in the busy season of agriculture; but this plan led to another grievous dispersion under no less a leader than Edward Winslow (afterward Governor).   A new church was necessarily conceded, and in 1640 the place became a town called Rexham, soon re-named Marshfield."   In some other authorities we find its early name spelt Marchfeeld, and again Marshfeeld.   The incorporation of Marshfield occurred in 1640.   It was the eighth town incorporated in Plymouth Colony.   Four towns were incorporated only the year before, in 1639, Duxbury being incorporated in 1637, and Scituate in 1636.   Duxbury was the third town incorporated.   It is not known in history why it was given the name of Marshfield, but probably on account of the ex-



Previous  Contents  History Contents  Families Contents  Next

Copyright © 2007-2010 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.