|History of Marshfield.||95|
fifth pastor was Rev. Samuel Hill, in 1740. He was followed by Rev. Joseph Green in 1753. In 1758 a new meeting-house was built on the site of the old one. Rev. Thos. Brown, in 1759, succeeded, and was followed by Rev. William Shaw in 1763. In 1798, the Baptist Religious Society of Marshfield was incorporated, and near this date a meeting-house was built in the west part of the town. In 1850 the house was remodeled and enlarged. Pastors filling the pulpit were Joseph Butterfield, Branabas Perkins, Thomas Conant, Benjamin Putnam, William H. Hall, and others following with short pastorates. The present pastor in 1901 is Rev. Mr. Knobb.
The Second Baptist Society in North Marshfield, near the village of Marshfield Hills, built their church in 1826. Rev. S. Ripley was ordained as its first pastor, and was followed by numerous others, whose pastorates were short. Rev. Jacob Davis, now living here in 1901, nearly 90 years of age, preached for five or six years, over a quarter of a century ago. The pastorate is now filled by Rev. Thomas Goodwin, who has preached there for the past dozen or more years.
The present site and part of the edifice of the Grand Army Post at Marshfield Hills was occupied for many years in the early part of the last century as an Episcopal church. Capt. Luther Little and Capt. Luther Rogers and families, who were among the leading men in town, were prominent parishioners, and long after the closing of the church for want of attendance, the latter, all alone, would go with his Bible each Sabbath into the church to commune with his God. For half a century there have been no services there, and the building, about thirty or forty years ago, as purchased by the late Wales Rogers and a floor put in midway, dividing the upper part from the lower. The lower story for some years was used for a paint and wheelwright shop, and the upper portion for a hall, Roger's Hall, the only hall then in
Previous Contents History Contents Families Contents Next
Copyright © 2007-2010 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.