|History of Marshfield.||141|
"At Little's bridge, between Scituate and Marshfield, there was a ferry as early as 1637, which year 200 acres of land were granted to Mr. William Vassall, on condition 'he keepe a ferry against his farm, toll 1d for a man & 4d for a beast.' This was then called 'New Harbor Ferry.' The ferry was located in front of his residence, which was on 'Belle House Neck,' Scituate. In 1730 this ferry was kept by Thomas Doggett, the first of that name, who married Joanne, widow of Thomas Chillingworth, of Marshfield. After Captain Doggett took the ferry, it was called 'Doggett's Ferry.' In 1755 Captain Doggett's son, Captain John, Jr., then only fifteen years of age, kept the ferry.
"Thomas Doggett, the first, bought a farm in 1659, where he lived until his death in 1692. This farm was a portion of the upland overlooking the mouth of the North River and an extensive view of the ocean beyond. It was the first farm on the Marshfield side of the river, with one of the dividing lines starting opposite the point where the North and South Rivers enter the sea."
"Among the descendants of Thomas Doggett were many who were mariners. Samuel Doggett, a grandson of Thomas, was the first of the family called 'Mariner,' and he began sailing from North River about the year 1700. His homestead was a piece of upland containing thirty acres of land, together with five acres of marsh, now called 'Bryant's pasture,' which is located near where the railroad bridge crosses the river, and was bounded on one side by the river; 'beginning at the mouth of ye great creek by ye North River.' Samuel Doggett was town treasurer of Marshfield for several years, and prominent in the shipping interests of the river from which he sailed. He was interested in the settlement of Maine, and combined with Boston capitalists, he used his vessels to carry families there to settle. Many of these were Marshfield people, who doubtless sailed for their new home from North River. The
Previous Contents History Contents Families Contents Next
Copyright © 2010 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.