|142||History of Marshfield.|
growth of Boston and Mr. Doggett's increasing interests there led him to leave Marshfield in 1744 and make his home there, where he soon afterward died."
"A toll bridge was erected at Doggett's Ferry in 1825 and called 'Little's Bridge,' from a family of that name who lived near, on the Marshfield side." The author remembers, when a young man, living in his native town of Quincy, Mass., of driving to Marshfield occasionally, and being obliged to stop and draw his wallet to pay toll at a house close to the bridge on the Marshfield side, now, in 1900, owned by the town and let as a residence.
During his drive from Quincy to Marshfield, he was stopped on turnpikes and bridges for toll two or three times, which was certainly a great nuisance, and the law passed by the state freeing all bridges and turnpikes was certainly a righteous act. Not only was toll collected on crossing a bridge, but for passage over a road, oftentimes the main thoroughfare through a town, if it happened to be built by a company of individuals. It was called a "turnpike," and towards supporting it, including the payment of a good interest on the capital invested in the turnpike, a toll was laid and collected on every carriage or team passing thereon. Little's Bridge was made free March 20th, 1865.
Previous Contents History Contents Families Contents Next
Copyright © 2010 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.