History of Marshfield.
[Thanks to Linda Smith for transcribing this chapter]
"The Prudential Committee was authorized & instructed to prosecute any and all persons who may injure any of the school houses."
The following were some of the school teachers in town in "Ye Olden Time."
1723."It was voted in town meeting that Wm. Rand be desired to keep school for the year ensuing on the same terms as last year."
1725.Thomas Oliver was teacher at a salary of £50 (equal to $166.66 2-3) per annum.
From 1727 to 1730 Isaac Lewis was teacher.
In 1733 Adam Richardson served as teacher.
In 1739 Wm. Smith served.
In 1746, 1747 and 1749, James Lewis taught.
The old schoolhouse at Littletown (Sea View) was located half way up the hill, above the old railroad crossing, not far from the Sea View railroad station.
1765."The town voted to raise the sum of £60 (equal to $200) for the support of schools the present year."
This year there were two schools kept in the north part of the town, and two schools kept in the south part of the town.
In 1766, 1767, 1768, 1773 and 1774 James Lewis served as teacher.
In 1776, "voted that Thirty pounds (equal $100) be appropriated for schools the ensuing year, and be distributed to the six parts of the town, proportionally."
A superintendent of schools was appointed a few years ago by the "Union district," so called, consisting of the school committee of the towns of Duxbury, Scituate and Marshfield. These three towns unite simply and only for the purpose of selecting and appointing a superintendent and regulating his duties in which the three towns as a Union District are concerned. Each of the towns regulate their
Copyright © 2010 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.