[Thanks to Linda Smith for transcribing this chapter]
The Duxbury and Cohasset railroad, a continuation of the South Shore railroad from Cohassett, was built about the year, 1868. It was built largely by the three towns through which it passes, Scituate, Marshfield and Duxbury, with some aid from the Old Colony Railroad Corporation. A great effort was made by the citizens of East Marshfield to have it run through the middle of the village, locating the station somewhere in the region of what is known as "Bear's Brook," by the road leading over it from Rodger's Corners to Sea View. Meetings were held to favor this, but the railroad authorities opposed it, and it was located down at one end of the village, nearer the shore, as the purpose was to make it a shore road. It cost Marshfield about $75,000. One director was appointed from each town to represent them. Scituate was represented by Joseph Cole; Marshfield by the Hon. Nathaniel Whiting, and Duxbury by Stephen Gifford, these acted in conjunction with the Old Colony Railroad Directors. After a few years it was found the road was not paying its way, and an effort was made by the Old Colony road to buy each town's interest, and finally it was sold to the said road for $15,000 by the three towns, making $5,000, only, for each; being an immense sacrifice on the cost. This left Marshfield with a debt of $70,000, and it has been groaning under this incubus for years, although it has been gradually decreasing, by an appropriation made yearly of form one to two thousand dollars by the town to a sinking fund, which it established shortly after the sale of the road. The Sinking Fund Com-
Copyright © 2010 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.