HISTORY OF MARSHFIELD. 147


WALKER.

   The Marshfield Walkers are descended from John Walker.   He first appears in 1643.   His name being in the list of those able to bear arms at that time.   His death in the prime of his manhood gave little opportunity for making his name conspicuous.   His descendants have not been numerous, and have largely belonged to the mechanical and agricultural classes.
   John1, the ancestor, mar. Lydia Reed of Marshfield, and among other children was a son, John,2 who died in his ninetieth year.


   John,2 b. Oct. 26, 1657, d. 1747, son of John,1 the ancestor.   Had a son, Isaac, who belonged to the Society of Friends.   He mar. Bethiah Norcut, and had five children.


   Isaac,3 (John,2 John,1) had a son Isaiah,4, who was also a Quaker.   Mar. Bathsheba Sherman and settled on a portion of the ancient homestead.   The house is still standing near Ventress Hall, and rear of the "Marshfield (grocery) store."   It has been in the Walker name until quite recently.   The last occupant of this name being Asa. Walker, who d. in 1900.


   Isaiah,4 (Isaac,3 John,2 John,1) b. Aug. 12. 1724.   Of his nine children two sons and two daughters remained in Marshfield, marrying and making homes in this town.
   Bethia,5 (Isaiah,4 Isaac,3 John,2 John,1) b. Nov. 15, 1757.   Mar. Peleg Thomas, and has descendants here bearing various names.
   Asa,5 (Isaiah,4 Isaac,3 John,2 John,1) b. May 21, 1763, d. Apr. 8, 1826.   Mar. 1st wi. Abigail, dau. of Chas. Baker, d. Apr. 8, 1812.   Mar. 2nd wife, Lydia, dau. of

 

Previous  Contents  History Contents  Families Contents  Miscellaneous Subjects  Soldiers Contents  Next

Copyright © 2008 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.