|HISTORY OF MARSHFIELD.||207|
The author of this history, though not a native of Marshfield, has lived here over thirty years, and his paternal and maternal ancestors, Wm. Richards and Thos. Clapp, settled in colonial days in adjoining towns. So. Scituate and Scituate respectively.
Lysander S. Richards, the author, was born in Quincy, Mass., April 13, 1835. Between the ages of 16 and 18 he was Acting Postmaster of Quincy. In his twenties he was President of the Quincy Charitable Society, President of the Quincy Adams Literary Association and Superintendent of the Unitarian Sunday School at the "Old Adams' Temple," Quincy, Mass. He was a member of the firm of Rodgers, (Clift), Richards & Co., in the wholesale hide and leather business, Boston, and later a member of the firm of Chas. Marsh & Co., and was burnt out in the big Boston fire, Nov. 9, 1872.
He has crossed the Continent twice from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Retired from business in 1874 on account of ill-health, and after completing the above trip, settled in Marshfield the same year. He was instrumental in changing the name of East Marshfield to Marshfield Hills; was Justice of the Peace in Marshfield, 21 years, Registrar of Voters 12 years, delegate to Massachusetts State Board of Agriculture 3 years, Chairman Mar. Rep. Town Com. several years, and Moderator of caucuses, town meetings and conventions; was one of the leading actors in the temperance movement in Quincy and Marshfield; has been one of the board of government of the Marshfield Agricultural and Horticultural Society most of the time for 25 years; is President of the Clift Rodger's Free Library and President of the Marshfield Hills Village Improvement Society. He is the author of the following books: 1. "Vocophy, which Points to the Calling One Is Best Fitted to Follow. 2 "Breaking Up: or the Birth, Development
Previous Contents History Contents Families Contents Miscellaneous Subjects Soldiers Contents Next
Copyright © 2007-2008 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.