USGenWeb Genealogical Site for the Town of

Link to Plymouth Town Web Site Plymouth
 Massachusetts 
Link to USGenWeb

Return to USGenWeb Plymouth

 

Photographs of Historic Sites and Monuments in Plymouth
By Sharon Barrows Sanzo

 

To see a larger image of each photo click on the photo with the left mouse button.

 

William Bradford Statue

William Bradford Statue
The Cyrus E. Dallin design of this statue on Water St. was commissioned as part of Plymouth's 1921
tercentenary celebration to honor the first and longest serving governor of New Pilgrim Colony.

 

Burial Hill

Burial Hill
This burial place on School St. began as the site of the Pilgrim's fort. The first description of this site as a burial place is from 1698,
and the oldest extant stone is from 1681, although some monuments have been erected to commemorate earlier burials.

 

Cole's Hill Sarcophagus

Cole's Hill Sarcophagus
At this site on Carver St. the first burials in New Plymouth Colony took place during the bitter winter of 1620-21. The burials were made at night,
no markers were placed on the graves, and corn was planted on the site so that the Wampanoag would not know how many of the Pilgrims
had perished. Human remains were discoverd at this site beginning in 1735, and around this time Elder Thomas Faunce (1647-1746) told others
that this was the first burying place. Other remains were discovered in later years. In 1921 this sarcophagus was built to house the remains.

 

National Monument to the Forefathers

National Monument to the Forefathers
This 1889 monument on Allerton St. is 216 times life sized, and is thought to be the world's largest solid
granite monument. It is honors the ideals of the Pilgrims as later embraced in the United States.

 

Plimoth Grist Mill

Plimoth Grist Mill
John Jenney was authorized to build a grist mill on Town Brook in 1636. This is reproduction on Spring Lane was
completed in 1970 and many of the parts were salvaged from an early 19th century mill near Philadelphia.

 

Massasoit Statue

Massasoit Statue
This statue at the crown of the hill on Carver St. honors Ousamequin (ca. 1581 - ca. 1661), the Massasoit (meaning "Great Sachem")
of the Wampanoag, who befriended the Pilgrims and without whom the the young colony would likely have perished.

 

Mayflower II

Mayflower II
This full-sized replica of the Pilgrim's ship was built in Brixham, Devon, England, at the Upham Shipyard from 1955
to 1957, and sailed to Plymouth in 1957. It is docked at State Pier in Plymouth Harbor, and underwent extensive
resoration and repairs at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut ahead of the 400th anniversary of the Pilgrims' voyage.

 

Mayflower Society House

Mayflower Society House
The 1754 home of Pilgrim grandson Edward Winslow at 4 Winslow St. has been expanded and remodeled a number of times. It has been the headquarters
of the General Society of Mayflower Descendants since just before WWII. The society's extensive library is housed in a building behind the house.

 

The Pilgrim Maiden Statue

The Pilgrim Maiden Statue
Brewster Gardens is a park along both sides of Town Brook created in the 1920s. One of its centerpieces is this 1922 statue by Henry Hudson Kitson.

 

The Pilgrim Mother

The Pilgrim Mother
This statue at Water and North Sts. was a gift from the Daughters of the American Recolution for the 1921 tercentenary celebration.

 

Plymouth Rock     Plymouth Rock Canopy
 
Plymouth Rock     Plymouth Rock Canopy
The tradition that this site on Water St. is where the Pilgrims stepped ashore in Plymouth dates to 1741, to Elder
Thomas Faunce (1647-1746). The current canopy was designed by McKim, Mead & White and erected in 1920.

 

Richard Sparrow House

Richard Sparrow House
This house at 42 Summer St. was built by Richard Sparrow in 1640, and is the oldest house still standing in Plymouth.

 

All of these pictures were taken in September, 1998, by Sharon Barrows Sanzo


Return to USGenWeb Plymouth

Please note that although I was born and raised about 20 miles from Plymouth
I now live hundreds of miles away and do not have easy access to the town.

Email comments to Dale H. Cook.

Please visit the Plymouth Colony Pages

USGenWeb Plymouth, MA, commenced 01-Nov-1998.
Original site created by and maintained until 2011 by Susan G. Taylor.
Current site created by and maintained since 13-Nov-2011 by Dale H. Cook.
.
Copyright © 2011-2017 by Dale H. Cook. All rights reserved.